DINLab findings event: Virtual Stock Condition Surveys with Spotr.ai
Back in 2021, the Proptech Innovators Network partnered with Dutch start up Spotr.ai to test if their technology could undertake building stock measurements and surveys, thousands of them, in minutes or even seconds not months. Nine housing providers joined us to test if this innovative alternative to traditional stock condition surveys.
What was this lab about?
This DINLab was designed for organisations that believed there must be a better way to know the condition of the homes we manage. Using Spotr.ai's innovative AI platform we wanted to see how effective this was as a business tool and what members thought about using it.
We wanted to understand how the technology could
- Remove the need to send a physical team out to survey 20% of your stock each year, yet having access to accurate, information on your properties and estates that is updated at least annually.
- Use virtual surveys to support planned maintenance programmes and safety inspections for fencing, walls, drives, roads and pavements.
- Reduce disrepair claims resulting from the inability to clearly view gutters regularly.
- Deliver a low touch/no touch stock condition survey solution.
- Remove the need to visit buildings to measure window and door glazing and frames, speeding up the time taken to replace and the inconvenience for residents.
- Provide data focused on specific condition per home for painting or UPVC programmes, rather than a blanket approach based on age.
- Support tenants uploading pictures of their home before an end to a tenancy, to understand how much work needs to be done to relet the house.
- Identify where (unauthorized) changes have occurred and identify potential safety hazards.
- Test whether Spotr can replace estate inspections, identifying repairs and maintenance needed for pavements, roads, trees and vegetation.
What was in it for lab participants?
Calculate the stock condition and quantities (measuring of the building and components) of the 300 properties using images collected from a range of sources including satellites, drones, aircraft, the organisation and residents. A virtual inspection of one estate, looking at pavements, roads, trees and gardens. For properties that demonstrate higher risk factors, complete a more detailed condition survey, and finally produce a report calculating the impact on tenant satisfaction, maintenance costs and quality of the portfolio.
So how did it go?
Well, you'll just have to attend this DINLab feedback session where we will share with you:
- What did we learn from the Spotr.ai technology?
- What did it confirm, what did it challenge by way of current approach?
- Did we learn anything we didn't know?
- What did tenants, colleagues and contractors think to the solution?
- Has it helped providers take a different view of the way they deliver services?
- Will they be embracing this technology as a result?
We will have speakers from Spotr.ai, PIN as well as the lab participants themselves. In addition we will debate how these findings may influence the future direction of stock condition surveys for the sector.
- Dirk Huibers, CEO, Spotr.ai
- Ruth Dent, Director of Assets and Compliance, Believe Housing
- Paul Norman, Head of Asset Management, Clarion HG
- Lee Reevell, Head of Innovation and Architecture, Halton Housing
- Gary Alison, Director of Property & Development
- John Dowle, Head of Asset Management, Berneslai Homes
- Bryan Simpson, Head of Asset Investment, Riverside
- Thomas Beresford, Head of Asset Planning, Home Group
- Tess Dennison, Asset Sustainability Manager, Beyond Housing
- Philippe Demougin, Property Innovation Manager, Flagship
No charge to PIN members.
Book your place using this link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/virtual-stock-condition-surveys-dinlab-findings-tickets-432417952737